In case you are having printing problems and aren’t sure if your printer is working properly, then instead of printing a multiple page document, it’s better to print a test page. This is the simplest way of knowing that your printer is working fine.
Also, if you don’t use your inkjet printer regularly, then printing a test page every 3 to 4 weeks helps in keeping the flow of ink intact and makes sure that your cartridges don’t get blocked due to inactivity. However, most people ask us, how do I print a test page in Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows 10, Mac, and Linux? And here are the steps to do so on different operating systems.
Printer test page
If you are unsure that what to print then here is the sample printer test page to download as PDF or image. This sample test page includes both black & white test page and color test page on a single A4 size page . It helps you to check the accuracy and quality of the printer ink and print head.
How to print the default test page
Different operating systems versions have almost the same option to print a test page, but the option might be at a different location. In the following steps, we’ll show you how to get a test page for each operating systems.
- Steps for Windows 10
- Steps for Windows 8
- Steps for Windows 7
- Steps for Apple Mac
- Steps for Linux (Ubuntu)
Print test page in Windows 10
You can use the steps as mentioned in Windows 8 for printing your test page in Windows 10. That is, go to Control Panel → Device Manager. Right-click on your printer and choose ‘Printer properties’. Now, click ‘Print Test Page’. However, below, we are describing another way to print a test page in Windows 10.
- Click on ‘Start’ button.
- Select ‘Settings’ icon.
- Click on ‘Devices’.
- In this window, select ‘Printers & scanners’
- Select your printer and click the ‘Manage’ button.
- Now click on the ‘Print a test page’ option.
That’s it, by now, the test page print job would have been sent to your printer.
Print test page in Windows 8
- Right-click on the ‘Start’ menu button and then go into ‘Control Panel’.
- In Control Panel, click on ‘Devices and Printers’.
- Now right-click the printer you want to use for printing the test page and select ‘Printer properties’.
- In the Printer Properties window click on ‘Print Test Page’.
If you have followed the above steps as they have been mentioned, then by now your test page would have started printing.
Print test page in Windows 7
- Click on ‘Start’
- Then click on ‘Control Panel’.
- In Control Panel, click on ‘Hardware and Sound’.
- Now click on ‘Devices and Printers’.
- Now ‘right click’ on the printer which you want to use for printing the test page and select ‘Printer properties’.
- In Printer properties window click on ‘Print Test Page’.
If your printer is working fine, then it should start printing test page by now. See the below screenshot.
Print test page in Mac OS
- Click the apple icon and select ‘System Preferences’.
- Double click ‘Printers & Scanners’.
- Now select your printer and click on ‘Options & Supplies’ option.
- Click ‘Utility’.
- Click ‘Print Test Page’.
Your printer should have started printing the test page.
Print test page in Linux / Ubuntu
- Click on ‘Menu’, select ‘System’ and then click ‘Printers’.
- Right-click your printer and select ‘Printer Properties’.
- In Printer Properties window click on ‘Print Test Page’.
Printing a test page is the easiest way of knowing if your printer is working properly or not. The steps mentioned in the above article will allow you to print a test page from various operating systems.
Q: What is a printer test page?
A: A printer test page is used to check the printing quality of a printer. To properly check the accuracy of the color and alignment of the printer we print a test page. A sample test page contains mostly all the elements like pictures and text to check the overall performance of the printer.
Q: Can we print test page directly from the printer?
A: Yes, mostly all of the printer have an option to print a test page directly from the printer or from the utility / software installed in the computer. Procedure is different for each brand you should check the manual of the printer for exact procedure. Another alternate method to print a test page is from the operating system itself. To do so steps are given above in this article.