Sometimes you need to print an important document or report in black ink but you ran out of color ink. Your computer will show a printing error that will require you to replace your ink cartridge. Don’t worry, there are some solutions to help you still be able to print in black in. Please know that some individual in the cartridge has print heads that require you to have all other cartridges to have ink available even if you are not using them. This makes sure that there won’t be clogs and the print job won’t be too sloppy. But you might be lucky that your printer might be able to print in black and white. I wouldn’t suggest continuing printing without the other color cartridge as it can lead to poor quality printing jobs.
The first step is preventing the use of color ink, as you still need it even for black and white copies, it makes poorer quality printing jobs. You can change the settings in the software to print with on a grayscale which uses black ink only on different levels. Even if you change the settings to use black ink only, the printer may still have to use other ink to make it run efficiently.
If you have windows, you can change the print settings to print with black ink only. You might need to change the settings every time you have to print.
- When you want to print something, select “Print“
- Choose the printers that you want to print to.
- Click on “Printer Properties“, depending on your software, it might be called “Options, Printer Setup, or Preferences“.
- Then click on the gray scale drop-down menu and select print with black ink only.
- Click “OK” and start printing.
To print with black ink on a Mac, you will need to click “Print”.
- Select the printer you want to print to
- Click on “Print Settings”
- Click on the triangle next and the option “Color Options“
- From the menu, choose gray scale or Black & White.
- Select Black Ink cartridge only
- Select “Print” to start printing
Choosing to print in black ink only may not a good choice as it can start to clog your printer and make it run less efficiently. If you have an empty cartridge, it’s highly suggested replacing them as soon as possible to make your printer run better.