If you have multiple printers installed on your computer, then you may want to change your default printer based on the print job you want to complete. However, sometimes the Windows operating system doesn’t allow you to make such a simple alteration and instead displays ‘Operation could not be completed (Error 0x00000709)’ error. This can be really annoying if you want to print a lot of pages. Therefore, in this guide, we will tell you how to fix Windows Error 0x00000709 quickly and permanently.
Operating could not be completeled (error 0x00000709). Double check the printer name and make sure that the printer is connected to the network
What Causes this 0x00000709 Error?
As you know, this error occurs when you try to set a new default printer, but Windows doesn’t allow you to make these changes. However, this error is caused due to a glitch in the Windows registry settings. This glitch doesn’t allow you to prioritize the new printer over the existing default printer. The only way to fix this error is by manually modifying the Windows registry settings. The steps for doing that are given below.
How to Fix “Unable to Set Default Printer Error 0x00000709”
The steps given below are the same for all Windows 7, 8 and 10 operating systems. Follow them carefully in their correct order to fix this error.
- Click ‘Start’ button and search ‘regedit’ in search box. From the search results, right click ‘regedit’ and choose ‘Run as administrator’.
- In the Registry Editor window, select ‘HKEY_CURRENT_USER’, inside that select ‘Software’, inside it choose ‘Microsoft’, inside it ‘Windows NT’, inside that ‘Current Version’ and inside it ‘Windows’. Note that each folder is a subset of the previous folder as shown below.
- Finally, the Registry Editor should look like shown below and at the bottom or top, you should see the following address: ‘computer/HKEY_CURRENT_USERSoftwareMicrosoftWindowsNTCurrentVersionWindows’.
- Now right click ‘Windows’ folder and select ‘Permissions’.
- Click ‘Add’ button.
- In the object names box type ‘everyone’ and click ‘Check Names’ button.
- Once ‘Everyone’ has been recognized, click on ‘OK’.|
- In the Permissions window, choose ‘Everyone’, check ‘Full Control’ and ‘Read’ checkboxes in ‘Allow’ column. Then, click ‘Apply’ and finally ‘OK’.
- Close Registry Editor program.
- That’s it!! You have made the necessary changes to your Windows Registry.
- Now, restart your computer and you will be able to set your preferred printer as the new default printer without encountering any error.
The Windows Error 0x00000709 is most common among users who have multiple printers installed on their computer. However, if you follow the steps given above, then you will be able to fix this problem permanently in just a few minutes.
Have a Question?
Ask a question regarding your printer issue. You'll get answer as soon as possible. It's Free
Be the first to ask question on this page. You'll get answer as soon as possible.